“Newport Beach’s best kept secret! Z Plastic Surgery’s Dr. Zelken was recently honored as a 2017 Super Doctors™ Rising Star.”
“Rising Stars” is awarded to outstanding doctors who have been fully licensed to practice medicine in their respective specialty for approximately 10 years or less. These doctors are leaders in their field and are rising through the ranks of the medical field in Southern California and nationwide. While approximately 5 percent of the doctors within Southern California are named to Super Doctors, no more than 2.5 percent are named to the “Rising Stars” list!
DR. JONATHAN ZELKEN
Dr. Zelken was raised in New England and is the first physician in his family. His mother is an artist and has cultivated his creativity and appreciation for art at an early age. Dr. Zelken designed his own practice logo, creates his own medical illustrations, and he contributed significantly to his office layout and design. Dr. Zelken embraces the artistry in his craft and that is what drew him to a career in Plastic Surgery.
Dr. Zelken obtained his undergraduate degree in Biology from Cornell University. He was an NCAA Division I Varsity rower at Cornell and competed on the national level with Cornell and the New York Athletic Club. Dr. Zelken went on to pursue a degree in Medicine at Tufts University and spent two years conducting soft tissue research in New York City. The first two scientific articles he authored have been cited 140 times.
After graduating at the top of his medical school class, Dr. Zelken was one of two people selected for an integrated plastic surgery residency position at the Johns Hopkins Hospital, ranked America’s #1 Hospital for 21 years in a row.
Dr. Zelken served as Chief Resident during his final year at Hopkins and was one of only 6 fellows chosen from a pool of over 80 applicants from around the world to pursue additional fellowship training at Chang Gung Memorial Hospital in Taipei, Taiwan. This is a highly coveted position and widely considered the world’s premier microsurgery training program. In Taiwan, he was exposed to all aspects of aesthetic and reconstructive surgery, as well as different aesthetic standards and needs of different cultures. During his fellowship year, Dr. Zelken published 23 articles and 4 textbook chapters.
Dr. Zelken joined a group practice based in Orange and Laguna Hills after completing his fellowship. During his first year of practice, he performed over 160 operations with rave reviews, including twenty free flap surgeries at two hospitals. Dr. Zelken developed a protocol for lymphedema diagnosis and management. He educated nursing and operating room staff how to care for microsurgery patients and was the first surgeon ever to perform microsurgery at one of the hospitals. He formed important and lasting friendships with breast surgeons who have grown to trust him.
Dr. Zelken is known for his attention to detail, empathy, and approachability. Driven by the same forces that fueled prior accomplishments, Dr. Zelken has chosen to open the doors to his own private practice, one that embraces positive energy, patient empowerment, and concierge attention. During your consultation, Dr. Zelken will encourage you to open up about your true goals and influences to ensure that you get the result that is right for you.
DR. KATHY ZHANG
Dr. Kathy Zhang is the medical advisor to Z Plastic Surgery, the director of the Chinese Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (整形美容外科) program, and Dr. Zelken’s wife. She attended medical school at UT Southwestern in Dallas and trained at UC Irvine. She was born and raised in China but spent much of her life in Missouri and Texas before moving to California.
Dr Zhang is fluent in Mandarin Chinese and practices in Irvine, California.
Raquel has worked as a patient advocate in the field of plastic surgery for over 10 years.
When she is not working, she enjoys spending time with her husband and three grown children. She loves to ride her bike on the beach, attend concerts and travel.
Dr. Zelken’s Publications
- Dr. Zelken’s paper about Asian breast augmentation
- Sneak Peek: Dr. Zelken’s patent-pending internal bra design for breast reconstruction and mastopexy
- Read Dr. Zelken’s latest article on SPY near-infrared angiography technology for treatment of lymphedema and cancer
- Read Dr. Zelken’s paper about a specialized approach to Asian rhinoplasty
- Read Dr. Zelken’s paper about avoiding that Avatar-look in Asian rhinoplasty
- Read Dr. Zelken’s paper about using silicone-polytetrafluoroethylene composite implants in Asian rhinoplasty
- Learn why Dr. Zelken uses Botox in forehead flap nasal reconstruction
- Explore Dr. Zelken’s algorithmic approach to thigh flaps that lack suitable perforators in lower extremity reconstruction
- Explore Dr. Zelken’s algorithmic approach to abdominal, perineal and groin reconstruction using tissue from your thigh
- Read Dr. Zelken’s paper about a special way to treat a traumatically degloved hand
- Read Dr. Zelken’s paper about throat reconstruction using tissue from your thigh
- Learn about how Dr. Zelken uses the thigh to help cover the knee
- Read Dr. Zelken’s paper about using your forearm to rebuild your nose
- Learn how Dr. Zelken can rebuild your foot… from your foot.
- See Dr. Zelken’s presentation on how to make a penis using the forearm in gender reassignment and bladder extrophy
- Read Dr. Zelken’s landmark paper about how vascularized lymph node flaps work in the surgical management of lymphedema
- Read Dr. Zelken’s chapter about how to treat facial fractures in Essentials of Craniomaxillofacial Trauma